Friday, April 26, 2013

Thank you, body.

How many weeks have I been doing field work? I guess I have almost hit 2 months. The days are blurring together... I have memorized all of the local radio stations and most of the songs they commonly play while I drive around all morning (zanculo loco, loco, loco, loco....) I've forgotten how to sleep in past 6am. I have boxes full of pinned bees in my closet and can never pin them fast enough to eliminate all of the bags from the freezer. My field clothes are now just my clothes and my first reaction to every party, festival, and opportunity to drink alcohol with youths is exasperation and annoyance (note to my Hojancha friends: this only means you should try harder to get me out of the house in the night!)

Some days, I can barely get out of bed. It seems exhausting even to have to put on my clothes (how can it be so hot before 530 am!?) and gather all of my gear. Other days, I find myself practically running up the hills. I get to meet so many cool people and see and learn everything about the peninsula... and I'm gettng PAID to do it! It helps me stay positive even as the sweat bees nibble my ears and the car tires skid around our questionable roads. In addition, that is what I tell my glutes as they try to get me up ANOTHER hill.

Guys? Guys? WAIT FOR ME!!!

Why are all of the best data collection sites in such hard-to-reach places?

Some days I even choose to continue doing physical activity after getting back from doing field work. This is usually "Insanity" workout videos with Simon or running. Last week, Charlie, Simon, Jose Mario and I greeted one of the first afternoon downpours with a 45-minute run on some dirt roads and forested paths near town. It was heavenly! At times it was raining so hard that I had to squint my eyes to block out streams of rainwater. The dusty streets of Hojancha soaked it up like a sponge and so did I.

The next day, as I scurried to keep up with a strong 60-something cattle farmer, I thanked myself for doing everything I have been doing in the last couple of years to stay somewhat in shape. Sometimes I get angry at exersize for not giving me six-pack abs and the ability to run particularly fast or long distances compared to those with natural talent. But, in my daily pursuits as a bug scientist, I'm constantly asking my body to keep up with people who have been doing physcal work every day for their whole lives. I don't think I could do this job- period- if I came straight from off of the couch.

Cundo poses by another rewarding view
In the same way, food has taken on a new meaning for me. I know I have heard similar stories from my friends who do a lot of backpacking, canoeing, etc. Cereal and toast just don't make any sense to me now that I know I am going to be working my body until 1pm. My housemates probably think I'm insane for getting up 30 minutes earlier than I have to just so that I can make a breakfast of mango smoothie, eggs, veggies, tortilla, and plantain. Just like not enough coffee=headache, not enough protein=hungry at 10 and not enouh liquids=light headed on the first steep hill.

Honestly, depending on my body so much scares me sometimes, too. What if I twisted an ankle and couldn't hike for a few weeks? What if I tripped and broke a wrist while running and couldn't carry all of my gear with me? What would I do? Just take a break from one of two critical field seasons? Come to think of it, how have my parents dealt with injuries or illnesses during almost 3 decades of farming? I guess all you can do is give thanks, strength train and eat well...

1 comment:

  1. this post really tells it like it is! great writing!

    ReplyDelete