Sunday, February 24, 2013

Top 5 reasons why the last 48 hours was the perfect Hojancha experience:

Hangin' with Oscar's son, Kahlil
1. Friends and neighbors gathering at my house for a BBQ celebration. The food was done incredibly late and the arepas were a disaster, but I love having the people in my life gather together. Nothing makes me happier. I sat on the grass under the stars and listened to my awesome neighbor, Raul, tell fishing stories. The best part is, I almost understood every conversation!

2. Driving alone to the beach for a Saturday afternoon of sunshine, reading, and swimming. Anyone who has known me for a long time knows that driving is a bit intimidating to me. In fact, I only started to drive a manual when I moved to Costa Rica last summer. I can now jump in the car and drive on often steep, pot-holey dirt roads to a number of my favorite destinations. It gave me an incredible feeling of independence, solitude, and freedom.


3. The most epic run I have been on in Costa Rica. My friend Charlie took me on a 45 minute trail run up a crazy steep path above Hojancha. From the top, we could see the gulf, and then the whole town. He always points out his favorite flowering trees and tells me stories about the area, which I love. I can't wait to take my friend Audrey on this run!!
Charlie at the mirador over Hojancha

4. My Ecuadorian housemate made empanadas for dinner. Everyone here cooks so well! Plus, I was starving after that run.

5. A night of guitar and violin music with amazing singing by Alex Piedra. We went to a benefit concert for the school in Matambu (an indigenous territory) and I was blown away. The rural setting and modest attendance had me expecting a casual night of listening to local musicians. I ended up experiencing some of the best live guitar I have ever heard.
Imagine Rodrigo and Gabriela playing an intimate concert for you and your friends. That's pretty close to what was happening. 

2 comments: